Saturday, April 24, 2010

Square 3: Flower Bouquets

I love flowers and flower bouquets -- really, who doesn't?  Flowers are blessings all on their own, but here's how flower bouquets have become a special blessing for me.

Many years ago, when I was a single gal working as an attorney, I worked at a big firm with hundreds of employees.  I always dreaded Valentine's Day, which I spitefully called the "parade of the flower bouquets," because when you work in a big office like that, and you aren't dating anyone, it seems like everyone is getting a flower delivery except you.  Invariably, someone (or several someones) would come into my office, look around pointedly, and say, "Where are your flowers?"

It shouldn't have mattered, but I admit that it did matter -- it made me feel lonely.  Every year I was tempted to take a vacation day on Valentine's Day, just to avoid the whole issue.

Then I met the hubs (who wasn't the hubs yet, of course, but just a really cute boy with a charming Fort Worth accent).  Flash forward several months to Valentine's Day -- this time, a huge bouquet was delivered to my office.  I think I actually cried.  Later, I was telling him how much it meant to me, and how much it had sucked all those years to not get flowers.  He said, "Well, you'll never not get flowers again." 

That was over 13 years ago, and he's never missed a Valentine's Day since.    :)

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet story.

    I just discovered you through Any's stitch-along. I love what you've done so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, another beautiful square! And I love your sweet story.

    ReplyDelete